It’s been a while since I last wrote on my blog site and sent my holiday greetings to everyone. This year I’ll post more spontaneously, most likely once a month – still about art and the creative spirit.
Today’s post is timely since I watched the Academy Awards last weekend. Each year I try to see every movie eligible for an award, and look forward to watching the Oscars on TV with good friends (who cast a ballot predicting the winners) and eating a delicious meal together. Just call us film and food fanatics.
As a tribute to the many films that entertained me in 2012 and Sunday’s 85th Academy Awards, I recently completed a painting called, “Searching for Oscar.” It is part of a body of work I named the Emergent Series. In one of my blogs, I described this creative process:
- From many layers of under painting (up to 25) and canvas-length drips, spaces gradually start to emerge – at least to my eye. They’re like gaps in a colorful abstract universe that are asking to be filled. In these spaces, I draw faces and bodies. In this particular case, it’s all about images of the actors and directors from the nominated films.
Here’s the painting:
In “Searching for Oscar,” anyone can play the Emergent Series game. Try to locate:
- Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
- Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
- Isabelle Allen who plays Cosette as a young girl, Les Miserables
- Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
- Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
- Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook (my fave JenLa won for best actress)
- Christopher Waltz, Django Unchained
- Ben Affleck, Argo (so glad he won for Best Picture – a travesty Affleck wasn’t nominated for Best Director)
- Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
- Denzel Washington, Flight
- Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
- Adele, Skyfall
- ….and finally, Golden Boy Oscar (of course)
Here’s the drawing of Steve Spielberg close-up:
…and, another detail. This one of Jessica Chastain from Zero Dark Thirty:
Many thanks to the lovely North Dallas family who purchased this painting for their living room – perfect timing to watch the Oscars and enjoy “Searching for Oscar” which now hangs over their fireplace mantel.
Until next time…. Meg
I love the challenge and interaction with the painting while attempting to locate the emerging actors. So creative and engaging! Stephanie
What a fantastic painting!! The colors!!!
Wow Meg, you’ve outdone yourself with this one! Love all the way you ‘hint’ at the faces and let them emerge from the painting…truly a style all your own. Congratulations on another stellar painting!